The Miichuwaap department is responsible for the housing portfolio for the Cree Nation of Mistissini. We provide housing services to our members through programs and services with the goal of ensuring access to quality housing.
Below, you will find the programs that are offered by our Department and how we serve the members of our community.
The M and R program at Miichuwaap consists of 7 Employees who are dedicated to the maintenance and upkeep of the rental housing units. The Miichuuwaap team orders the necessary materials, maintains inventories of supplies, records work orders, schedules repairs and carries out the works required to keep our units in good order.
Miichuwaap as part of its housing mandate, invests in renovating houses in the Cree Nation of Mistisisni’s housing inventory. In order to keep our housing units in good order, we oversee the planning and implementation of housing renovation programs.
In 2020-21 the Miichuwaap department has invested over $2,000,000 into renovations, projects such as roofing upgrades, mold corrective measures, and major upgrades to older units with complete interior and exterior renovations. These programs were able to address approximately 50 units. The following is the list of program types:
• CMHC – Residential Rehabilitation Assistance Program (RRAP).
• Mold Remediation Program
• Minor Renovation Program (Shuffle)
• Cree Collective Deductible Insurance Program
• Miichuwaap – Replacement Reserve Fund
• Housing Renovation Program (Major)
Rent to own program – This program is designed to allow our members to have a home built in collaboration with the department with the option to rent the home and eventually the own the unit.
• A member of the Cree Nation of Mistissini with no outstanding accounts .
• Be at least 18 years of age and display financial capacity
• Have a minimum of $40,000 income and a minimum down payment of $5,000
• Agree to enter a payroll deduction plan
• Provide all required documents requested by Miichuwaap that includes Proof of Income, Proof of Down Payment and Credit rating information.
Private Home Ownership Program – This program supports our members wishing to build or purchase and private home. The program provides a grant to the members depending on the size of the home based on your home plans. We also assist our members with residential lots for construction of their private home through the Local Land Registrar’s Office.
The official mandate of the Housing Authority on behalf of Chief & Council and Members is to implement the approved Housing Policies (Updated January 2020) and recommends to Chief & Council programs or changes to Housing policy and or procedure. The Housing authority has seven members and meets on a regular basis.
The current members of the Housing Authority are:
187 Main Street, Mistissini, Eeyou Istchee, G0W1C0
Monday – Thursday 8:30 am – 4:30 pm,
Friday: 8:30am – 3:00pm